Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Another step closer, Kuala Lumpur to Chiang Mai

Well, I resigned from my office job a couple of days ago, so I finish up at the end of the month. I haven't scheduled any more blackboards in either. In August the real fun will start for me, fixing, organising and packing.

I booked our tickets and changed our route to Chiang Mai, deciding to go to Bangkok for a couple of nights before hand, instead of overnighting it in Kuala Lumpur. Stray found this today swimming monkeys article, so we might go and have a squiz.

We can catch up with a friend as well, and let's face it, it's more entertaining in BKK than at the  'pay as you use' Tune Airport Hotel in KL, which serves its purpose and is very cheap, but is a bit like a stack of sardine cans (it's amazing what can be achieved with camera angles/lenses).You could travel into the city area  and stay, but if you have a flight out at 4.00 am in the morning, why would you? But it  IS worth taking a 10 ringgit bus trip (about 50 minutes) to the transit station and then a quick taxi ride into the heart of the city for dinner and a look around, before settling down for the night.

In case you're thinking of visiting! Flying with Air Asia to KL (for us) and then onwards is the cheapest way to get out of the country, unless you're lucky enough to score some sort of super deal with another airline. I'm not fussed on Air Asia, it's also 'pay as you use' and you only get what you pay for. The down side of living in Oz, if there possibly is one, is that it takes so long to fly out of the bloody place!

The Air Asia seats are quite narrow and when the bloke next to you is on the very, large side, and his left leg spends most of the 8 hours in your space, leaning on you, it can be quite invasive, annoying and just plain yukky. The seats do not recline, they sort of slide forward then tilt back a little...apparently.

Air Asia lands at a budget airport, aptly named the Low Cost Carrier Terminal (LCCT), so you may have to high tail it over to the other international terminal (KLIA) , which is just around the corner, for any further flights.

A few of our friends and family have said they'll be over to visit, and are asking about places to go and things to do. I'll be making a page of suggestions, but my experiences are limited, so if you have any personally tried ideas/pics or links, please give me a cooee by EMAIL.





Ta!

6 comments:

A Good Moroccan said... Best Blogger Tips

There's nothing better than leaving an office job ! I did it a few years back.

Snap said... Best Blogger Tips

I reckon, but as far as office jobs go, this one has been pretty good. Your blog looks great...am going back for a good read soon!

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

I want to be in your shoes! Travel..travel and more fun (Alas! :()

A Good Moroccan said... Best Blogger Tips

Thanks for having a look at my blog, Snap.

Theodora said... Best Blogger Tips

Bangkok is amazing... Worth more than two nights, if you have em...

Snap said... Best Blogger Tips

Agreed! 1st time in BKK, I thought 'what have I done?' (also my first time out of Oz) 2nd and 3rd time I was much more at ease and really enjoyed it. I'm sure I'll be passing through from time to time.