Monday, August 30, 2010

TAT advises Stray's TEFL course has been cancelled...

This afternoon Stray received a momentarily heart stopping email from TAT (Teach Abroad Thailand), in answer to his Visa questions, as they had not provided any information to date. The email also asked him if he'd received notification of the CANCELLATION of the TEFL course due to commence in November. TAT advised that the other students were relocating to Pattaya. There was no offer of a later start date.

NO, he did not receive the notification and NO, Pattaya is not an option!!!!!! because I will be based in Chiang Mai...and we really like Chiang Mai.

So he requested a refund for the £450.00 deposit already paid.

TAT's own terms and conditions state 'Once your application has been provisionally accepted by Teach Abroad Thailand (TAT) you will be asked to pay a deposit fee, which is fully refundable only if we cannot provide you with your chosen course placement...' so one would think it shouldn't be a problem??

Hit the Send button...and we wait.

While we wait we're looking at alternatives. It seems, according to the Internet, that there are quite a few other TEFL options in Chiang Mai, but he'll wait until he hears back from TAT before resorting to a plan B.

Later this evening...

Stray receives a TAT email saying that the TWO week course in Chiang Mai is booked out, however they might be able to enroll him in the 4 or 6 week course. Funny, it WAS THE FOUR WEEK COURSE IN WHICH HE ENROLLED in May this year. The four week course was the only option for us oldies at the time. Now TAT has an age minimum only, of 18 years and their package descriptions and prices have all changed.
The email did state that a full refund of his deposit would be given if required, so that's a relief. That's more than my course offers, unless the Thai Consulate refuses me entry into Thailand, that is.

I really didn't want this to be a TAT bashing session, it's just a worry when your doing business over the Internet, from a different country none the less.

Stray hasn't replied as yet, too weary and has a 2 AM start in the morning.

So now I'm only having minor heart palpitations.

To be continued...

7 comments:

Martyn said... Best Blogger Tips

It looks like you and Stray are getting a small dose of how things are done Thai style. Remember....remain calm and don't lose face by completely going off on one. I'm sure everything will work out wonderfully well in the end.

Snap said... Best Blogger Tips

Yes Martyn, I know :( jai yen yen! I am sure all will be OK in the end, even if we resort to Plan B. We're just both really tired with all of the 'getting ready to go' and weren't expecting any bumps BEFORE we arrive.

tom yam said... Best Blogger Tips

I'm sure things will work out just fine. Just remember that it's easy enough to obtain a visa for a year by claiming that you are visiting friends or family (Laong and i,for instance) and there are several firms offering TEFL training in Chiang Mai.

Snap said... Best Blogger Tips

Aahhhh...I didn't know that (brother) Tom! I'll certainly keep in mind.

Catherine said... Best Blogger Tips

Ouch. You are not here yet and it's already started...

Thailand has taught me patience. That, and how to perfect a special smile that is reserved just for here.

Before when I was faced with incompetence I'd grit my teeth and mumble out loud, 'Patience my ass! I'm going to kill something!'...

...now I only think it. And smile. Lots of smiling.

So if you ever see me with a HUGE but slightly off smile, that could very well be what I'm thinking.

Snap said... Best Blogger Tips

I thought having children taught me 'more' patience? I can certainly hold my toungue (in public) but I don't know if I can smile while doing so...another learning curve!

Catherine said... Best Blogger Tips

Having children and living in Thailand... they don't require the same kind of patience. It's a great idea for a post though :-D

Deep breaths work well too. Hmmm... is there a connection why so many expats taking mediation courses in Thailand? Seen any hyperventilating expats recently?

But with all this mai bpen rai going on, I don't mind as much any more. Before, I really would feel the aggravation when something went wrong. Now I'm not so bad. I'm calmer, easier to be around when something goes wrong (I hope anyway). And just look at me smile.