Friday, October 22, 2010

First post from CM

If I was a superstitious person I may have cancelled my trip to Chiang Mai. The omens or warning signs leading up to our departure may have been enough to deter some: increased Red Shirt activity, explosive devices going off willy nilly, the cancellation of my course = loss of Ed visa = possible/probable loss of my deposit, headlines of  'Thailand - expecting worst floods in 50 years', an Aussie bank losing all of my certified documentation to sell my shares just prior to leaving, waking up to find a dead rat size mouse at the foot of the mattress on our last morning at home (a farewell gift from our cat) ...but, no, not me...I'm here!

We arrived late last night, extremely tired, but happy we got it all over and done with in one day. On exiting the airport Stray saw his old taxi driver mate, Mr A, so it was nice to see a familiar face straight away.

The hotel is pleasant, quiet, clean and quite large, situated in the outskirts of Chiang Mai and shadowed by Doi Suthep. Theoretically I'll be able to find my way back, should I get lost, using the mountain as a landmark.

The recorded female elevator attendant in hotel is a bit of a worry. She had a slight spac attack this morning and advised that we were shooting up past the mezzanine floor and penthouses (like there are any) at great knots, and that there was an earthquake and we should get out.

Today was spent getting our bearings in an unfamiliar part of town and returning to those that we already know. Opening a bank account was relatively painless, although, I being on a tourist visa couldn't get one, so only Stray did. Now I have to be extra nice, seeing he has all of my money!

Some photos from today.

Have donut, will travel! I think I might like one of these.
Not far from our hotel. Doi Suthep in the background.
I'm sure there's a building in there, somewhere!
A must have in the wet weather???
Little monks
Pad Thai, Chicken Curry with noodles, soup, two coffees 130 Baht.
Our brunch. I was going to have 'fried eggs pour orange juice coffee', but it just didn't sound right!

Snap's other blog Chiang Mai Thai

6 comments:

lanivcox said... Best Blogger Tips

Welcome back to CM! Hope everything goes smoothly. We must have coffee soon :D

Mike said... Best Blogger Tips

Glad you made it safety. Sounds like a few hiccups along the way.

Good preparation for life in the Land of Smiles :-)

Snap said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi Lani, I'd love to have a coffee when you have time. Let me know a time and place by email and I'll get back to you ASAP.

Snap said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi Mike...yes, hiccups, that's a very nice way of putting it :) Good to finally be here though.

Zac said... Best Blogger Tips

Are you nuts!? You wouldn't have to be superstitious to cancel a flight to a country expecting its worst floods in 50 years! So now Stray was all your cash? Lucky you. Anyways, what did you do with the good-bye mouse?

Snap said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi Z, Stray has put me on rations ;) and the rat/mouse is now compost! Fingers crossed the floods subside in the south and don't come up our way!