Tuesday, November 23, 2010

#2 You know you've left home when...

 You know you've left home when...
  • you see a fully grown Labrador, going for a ride, standing on the front deck of a scooter
  • you miss a dumpling of a different kind...of course I miss the older dumplings too!
  • half the time he tells people I'm 'suay' and the other half, 'suay'...come on Stray, which is it? Beautiful or Cursed?...same spelling, different Thai tones
  • you actually consider this, for a split second, as a good idea!...OK, this isn't exactly what we saw, I didn't want to whip the camera out while Grandad was watching. One morning eating breakfast at a park we saw a child strapped in to a sturdy looking welded metal device (baby seat) attached between the  front handle bar area and the scooter seat...and he was wearing a helmet!!!
  • you see pink earmuffs, matching pyjama pants and fur collared jackets being worn in 28 C degree heat.
  • you struggle to undo rubber bands on plastic bags...I'm not the only one. *Post edit: Thanks to the comment from jcj57, we now have video evidence.
  • you scare the living daylight out of yourself when you open your handbag to find all of the conents gone. ROBBED!...it's all in the other compartment Snap...you've been transfering it over bit by bit all morning without realising it. 
  • these are in your back garden
  • you become obsessed with spell checking menus. At first glance I thought this vegetable had some type of medical disorder, but it's actually translated correctly, perhaps a little too correctly. A 'convolvulus' vegetable is the botanical genus name....of morning glory etc. A type of water spinach/weed I (try to) grow at home and know as Kangkong. The 'crispy' part relates to the 'pork' which was forgotten in the English translation.
  • you can't be nominated as the designated driver :)
Snap's other blog Chiang Mai Thai

16 comments:

DanPloy said... Best Blogger Tips

Ha Ha. Keeping you guessing with the 'suay' is he.
Before I knew the difference I told the happy couple at a Thai wedding that they were cursed. Luckily everyone just laughed.
Thai is a language that has been deliberately engineered to cause maximum embarrassment to foreigners. I never order bananas anymore.

p.s. I have to get Ploy to undo the plastic bags or by myself I take a knife to them.

Snap said... Best Blogger Tips

So there IS an evil plot behind the Thai language!

Someone was so intrigued/fustrated by the rubber band thing, they made a Youtube video about it, but I couldn't track it down for this post.

I'm still pondering the bananas?

DanPloy said... Best Blogger Tips

Gluay sounds like the word for a small male appendage.

The great thing about Thailand is if you accidentally order a kilo of them you would probably get it!

Snap said... Best Blogger Tips

Dan, I litterally laughed out loud when I read that...the hotel staff in the hall way must think I'm crackers.

I refrained earlier from mentioning a discussion about 'ham and 7/11s' on Martyn's blog recently.

Your version of bananas is not in my dictionary. Slang perhaps?

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

Knew you would miss dumplings.

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

OMG just watched the video http://www.youtube.com/v/6x-NvHl-1DQ&hl=en
on the rubber bands, I'd starve to death, I dont have fingernails..... like one of the comments - turn the bag upside down and cut one corner off.

Snap said... Best Blogger Tips

Aaaagghhh! I searched for over half an hour for that thing! I suppose it's pretty ignorant to think that rubber bands should be only used one way.

You definitely won't starve...just do what I do and chew through them ;)

I'll plonk the link up into the post later, thanks!

Unknown said... Best Blogger Tips

Darn rubber bands- I was there 3 years and never got the hang of it...

Snap said... Best Blogger Tips

Philip, concquering rubber bands is the last thing on my mind. But one day, when I'm completely bored, I'll sit down and have a go at it.

lanivcox said... Best Blogger Tips

Before you know it dear, you'll be whipping off those rubber bands like an expert ;)

Snap said... Best Blogger Tips

Lani, I hope so...I'm sure I'll get myself into a knot trying though ;)

Jon said... Best Blogger Tips

Great post - I was just thinking with sadness the other day at how accustomed I've become with many of the quirky things in Thailand, particularly in the provinces.

Is only when family/friends are here I realise that the 10 year old riding a Honda scooter, cows straying into my in-laws garden, Burmese guys with roti kitchens on wheels, local Thai markets and much more are really quite something to behold and not just everyday occurrences.

Snap said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi Jon...there is certainly something to behold almost on a daily basis, especially for first time visitors. I guess it is the differences are, initially, what draws many people to Thailand :)

Love those banana rotis!

Martyn said... Best Blogger Tips

Snap I assume when the scooter man upgrades to a car he'll saw the legs off the chair.

Heaven knows if I tell Wilai she's beautiful or cursed, after seven years together I reckon she probably feels a bit of both.

Ham....I forgot to ask the young one about that but luckily your reply to DanPloy holds the key. Thanks.

Snap said... Best Blogger Tips

Martyn, I buy myself a packet of dried bananas (with a little honey) every week. But there's NO way I'll be asking (in Thai) where they are if I can't locate them in the store...I'll just go without.

Theodora said... Best Blogger Tips

I think the motorbike seat and helmet is a *great* idea. Oh dear. I've gone native...