Sunday, January 23, 2011

Walk A Mile (or two) In Chiang Mai

Shortly after JJ arrived the other day, I dragged her about one kilometre, up to the old city to have a look around. It was quite a long walk, but nice to go with a first time visitor. We wandered into places I hadn't even been into shame on me and noticed things I'd walked by many a time without giving them a second glance.

Our walk in photos, starting from Chiang Mai Gate heading north, covering the small south east corner of the old city...there's a map at the end of the post :) Enjoy!
* Post edit - Before work starts on a new phra ubosot, nine holes are dug: eight at the cardinal points, the ninth beneath where the principal Buddha statue will be placed. Luk Nimit (Thai: ลูกนิมิต), round stones the size of a cannonball, are placed in to these holes during a religious ceremony. Eight Sema stones are then placed over those Luk Nimit which are situated at the cardinal points. - Wikipedia
Wat Chang Taem
Wat Chedi Luang

Donations straight into the safe

Snap's other blog Chiang Mai Thai

2 comments:

Mike said... Best Blogger Tips

Snap, nice photos of a very pleasant city, one of my favourites in Thailand. I would live there if I didn't enjoy the beach.

BTW do you know what the cannonball shaped objects are?

In case you or your readers don't they are Luk Nimit stones which are the sacred stones buried in and around the ordination hall of a Thai Temple.

Snap said... Best Blogger Tips

Thanks Mike...my friend asked me what they were, but I had no idea what the balls were for, only that I see gold leaf rubbed onto them sometimes. I'll put a post edit note up under the photo.